Monday, December 12, 2011

The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap: Corn Cookies

Sorry for the horrible picture, didn't dawn on me to take pictures with my actual camera, and not my phone!
This year, I was part of something amazing.  The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap!  Hundreds of other bloggers joined in all of the fun and cookies were sent all over the country.  It was so amazing to find a couple boxes on my doorstep when I came home from work of a variety of different cookies!  And it was even better to discover new blogs in the process! 

I received Dark & Stormy Cookies from Kathy Can Cook, Toffee Cookies from Anna from Girls Can Tell, and Lime Cookies from Creative Crops.  I'd never been do any of those blogs before, but I'm now a regular because they're all so sweet and have great blogs!

It was definitely hard to choose a cookie to send to my lucky recipients as well.  I didn't want to send a "normal" cookie, but something different.  So I turned to one of my favorite cookbooks of the moment - Momofuku Milk Bar by Christina Tosi.  I made the Corn Cookies, which are my absolute favorite out of everything I've made out of the book so far.  They're different, like a cross between a butter and a sugar cookie, with that slight hint of corn in the background.  Definitely amazing.


Ingredients:
From Momofuku Milk Bar by Christina Tosi

2 sticks of butter, at room temperature
1 & 1/2 cups sugar
1 egg
1 & 1/3 cups flour
1/4 cup corn flour
2/3 cup freeze-dried corn powder 
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 & 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

Combine the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat for 2 to 3 minutes.  Add the egg and beat for an additional 7 to 8 minutes.

Add flour, corn flour, corn powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Mix until dough just comes together, no more than 1 minute.

Portion the dough into 1 inch diameter balls and place onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.  Wrap with plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Heat oven to 350F.

Arrange the chilled dough 4 inches apart on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.  Bake for 18 minutes, or until faintly browned on the edges and bright yellow in the center.

Cool the cookies completely on the sheet pans and store in an airtight container for 5 days at room temperature, or in the freezer for up to 1 month.

I hope my lucky recipients enjoyed their cookies as much as we did!

And I can't wait for this fun event to happen next year too!

27 comments:

  1. Hi Peggy, the picture looks ok but the cookies sure looks delicious. Since I can't get corn powder in Malaysia so I can only drool ......LOL
    Wish I can join the cookies swap, looks fun.
    Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nevermind about the shot. I'm sure it tastes good :) Been a while since we last exchanged words. Hope u're well. Happy holidays, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cookies sound delicious. Definitely something different and I like that. Hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy these look perfect! Nice swap - think I'd have a hard time swapping these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of this great recipe; I really want to try this; printing it now. Love refrigerator cookies;so nice to have around; lets hope I can find the ingredients.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, I've not seen as many cookies in the last few days with this amazing cookie swap! Your corn cookies look fabulous - so different with the corn and look at their vibrant colour. They sound so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also had Dark and Stormy's and the Toffee Cookies! Your corn cookies were so fun! Thank you so much for such deliciousness! I enjoyed the swap because there were so many different and unique things! And I love getting to know other bloggers too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I can see why you chose these... they sound fantastic! I bet there were some very happy bloggers opening up your packages!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look so good!
    I keep reading about the cookie swap--what a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that cookbook! Great cookie recipe choice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cookies were so delicious, again thank you so much!! i plan on making these sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cookies looks delicious. I will try to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw want the Momofuku Milk Bar book! And I'm dying to know what a Dark and Stormy Cookie is?! That's such a great name for a cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is simple and easy to make Peggy, I will try since I have the cornflour sitting in my pantry for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. of course you would make something as clever as this! i love the idea of using corn - something sweet yet savory - in a cookie! they're smart cookies kinda like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like an interesting and tasty cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to get my copy of that book! I'm not sure if I'll be able to find freeze-dried corn powder locally, but I can't wait to try these cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ack! Everyone is having such fun in the cookie swap! And all the cookies look AMAAAAZING :) Your phone picture takes nothing away from your yummy treats!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Peggy! :) What a new recipe! :) Sounds great! The cookies look awesome. Would love to include it in my event. If possible, please go through the rules of Jingle All The Way and link your post there.
    Thanks!
    -
    Kavi
    (Edible Entertainment)
    Ongoing events:
    Jingle All The Way &
    Microwave Easy Cooking
    Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love these and I love you didn't go with a "Normal" Cookie! Love pushing envelopes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a unique cookie! I am curious what corn powder is. Can you get this at any grocery store? The swap was so much fun this year and I can't wait to do it again next year. I mean, who doesn't love cookie delivered directly to them not once but three different times? YUM!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails